As a homeowner, one of the biggest perils to your home and family is the potential for a fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners underwent nearly $1.6 billion in losses due to accidental or careless fires. The terrible truth is fires are unpredictable and are often stoppable -- with a little knowledge of where to act. And hopefully you are ready with a monitored fire alarm that gets you aid immediately if you undergo an incident.
What Causes House Fires In Gaithersburg?
Fires may start anywhere without notice on the premises. However, you can lessen the threat of a blaze if you take countermeasures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in Gaithersburg. Kitchen-related flames typically start when the kitchen goes ignored while making the meal. Water thrown on a grease fire will spread a flame that would otherwise be contained.
- Candles: Passing out in a space with a lit candle is risky, even when you use a deep candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain on fire if left on a window sill, and pets can topple candlesticks in their playing. The National Fire Protection Association approximates that greater than 7,600 homes were damaged due to candle-related fires between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Corroded electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, malfunctioning or incorrectly installed lighting, and cut lamp cords are all prone to sparks. Be careful not to overburden your outlets or plug any object in with exposed wiring. On the off chance you hear a pop or catch a whiff of smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off prior to checking it out.
- Space Heaters: Avoid coiled space heaters because waste, like dust, paper, or covers can find their way in and spark up. However, you need to make sure to oversee fan and ceramic space heaters whenever the device is in usage.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 house fires started by cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. If you have tobacco products that smokes indoors, ensure they never pass out with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully put out your paraphernalia before you throw it into a trash can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Brings Help Quickly When It Senses A Fire
If a fire happens to spark, you have to have a speedy warning system to alert your family members before it gets serious. A traditional smoke alarm might be sufficient but can only alert you if smoke is in thick clouds. An advanced fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's tied to your home security devices -- is able to discover both smoke and excess heat and is better equipped to ensure everyone is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has several means it can warn you of rising heat. Your alarms can inform your loved ones with an incredibly loud tone and a notification to your cell phone. All the while, your ever-vigilant monitoring experts reaches out to the fire department. And should you be somewhere where you can't race home when a fire blazes, you can be reassured that your monitoring agent can help coordinate communication between you and the fire department.
Get Your Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The possibility of house fires in Gaithersburg should never be written off, but you can rest easier if you have a monitored fire alarm on hand. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you place all the safety alarms you need with a cutting-edge home security system. Call (301) 278-8866 or send in the form below to get your home security system.